Twitpic recently announced that it is shutting down its picture sharing social media site effective October 25. The company is citing Trademark issues as the reason for the shutdown. Twitpic originally made the announcement in September. However, after looking for multiple solutions to stay online the company has decided to shutdown. As an early adopter of Twitter, Twitpic was one of my favorite go to tools for file sharing. It’s unfortunate that Twitpic will be shutting down soon.
I took a look at my account and it felt like a stroll through memory lane. All I can say is wow! Thanks for the memories Twitpic. You are a true pioneer in the social media space. Looking forward to your next venture.
Below you will find the letter from the Twitpic Founder and procedures to export your files. Make sure to export your photos ASAP to ensure you don’t lose them now.
Letter from Twitpic Founder Noah Everet
UPDATE: It’s with a heavy heart that I announce again that Twitpic will be shutting down on October 25th. We worked through a handful of potential acquirers and exhausted all potential options. We were almost certain we had found a new home for Twitpic (hence our previous tweet), but agreeable terms could not be met. Normally we wouldn’t announce something like that prematurely but we were hoping to let our users know as soon as possible that Twitpic was living on.
I’m sincerely sorry (and embarrassed) for the circumstances leading up to this, from our initial shutdown announcement to an acquisition false alarm.
You can export your data and photos at: http://twitpic.com/account/settings
It’s with a heavy heart that we re-announce that Twitpic will be shutting down again. More details on our blog http://t.co/LCH7ZTQJHe
— TwitPic (@TwitPic) October 16, 2014
Procedures to Export Twitpic Photos
1. Go to http://twitpic.com/account/settings
2. Scroll down to Export Your Photos section
3. Click on Request Your Data button
4. Logout and check your account periodically. Your request will be queued and processed. If you have many files, it may take longer to process. A download link will appear when photos are ready for export.
Latest posts by Eva Smith (see all)
- Blogger Society Giveaway – 2017 Blogher Ticket Giveaway - April 14, 2017
- 2017 Blogher Community Advisory Board - November 1, 2016
- 2016 Conferences – I’m Speaking At BlogHer 2016 - March 22, 2016